Coyotes, Fox, & Hogs

daddyflea

I took off work today even though I knew that tomorrow would have been a better day to hunt. Our weather here was predicting 83 degrees and 20 mph winds. I had two meetings scheduled Thursday that I just could not change as well as my Son's football game. One of my first trips with my new rig as well.

110211E.jpg

Got my Son off to school and as usual I got in the woods about an hour after daylight. Going to my first stand I saw Hog sign and this was a first for this area. Land Owner has strict instructions to shoot every one I see.

I was again using my Reloaded BB rounds in my Remington 1100 since most of this is tight and Brushy. I was told you really can not reload good Coyote rounds but they seemed to kill my first Shotgunned Coyote pretty good last week. I set the CS 24 out about 25 yds in front of me and put on Luscious Lips. This is the free sound from Foxpro that apparently very few persons like because it is not a real live animal sound. I was in my Ghullie Suit not hidden all that good but I had a good back rest and I was still settling in. At just over a minute a Coyote jumped a bush and was on my caller before I could get my Shotgun up. I had to pause a split second to keep from hitting my Caller. As soon as he figured out he was not in a good place and jumped away from the Call, I hit him with the Crappy Reloaded BBs. He went down for the count. I changed to Pup Distress and all the woods was moving. A whole herd of Hogs came to the call. I shot 4 with the Shotgun and used all the rounds I had. None stayed put. I was not real eager to follow these through the woods with an empty Shotgun so I went back to my rig and loaded my Coyote.

110211C.jpg

I moved down the fence line about 300 yds and hid again. I put Luscious Lips on the CS 24 and nothing showed. I changed to an old Cotton Tail sound and about at the 10 minute mark I saw something bouncing toward the call. As usual it stopped behind a tree. I leaned out and shot a pretty Fox at about 20yds. He went down DRT from the Shotgun. Nothing else showed.

110211B.jpg

I moved on down another 300 yds and set up again. The wind was a 90 degree crosswind with woods on both sides. This area was where two creeks came together. I put on Luscious Lips again and at about 4 minutes. A big Coyote tried to wind my call. I hit him right in the face with the BBs. I did not take an individual picture of him but I did take a picture of him as I loaded him up.

110211.jpg

Since I was out of rounds I had to head back. I called our local Taxidermist and she was very happy to take the animals. Even gave me a little gas money for bringing them to her. Did I mention we have the best looking Taxidermist around?

I went to the House, got some shells (reloaded BBs), ate lunch, and went back to the same spot.

The next stand was dry as was the second. The Wind was howling and I started to go home. It was way too hot and I was sweating. I headed out and saw a spot that looked pretty good. I found a Brush Pile that had a good Back rest so I had to try it. I put on Luscious Lips and had no takers. Since DSG cottontail is loud, I tried that at almost 30 volume on the CS 24. The Wind was blowing so hard I just barely caught the Coyote running through the woods. He came straight to the caller and I hit him right in the face with the BBs. The Coyote went down DRT and I saw a second that I never could call back.

110211D.jpg

Since it was still early I moved to another spot. I put on Luscious Lips and saw a Rabbit hauling the mail across the Right of Way in front of me. When I set the caller I was aware of a trail right beside it and intentionally moved the caller on the other side upwind because was scared a coyote might come in on the trail and I would risk shooting my caller. Sure enough the Coyote hit the trail and just before he stepped out he winded the caller. He was gone.

I headed in to reload some more of those crappy old BB loads. I sure wish I could hunt in the morning after this Front hits but unfortunately I have formed the bad habit of eating regular so I need to work.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: NcWhitetailAnd, just how loooong is the baaaarel on that 1100?

Just standard Dove Hunting length. I do have a Bolt action Goose Gun but that second Auto shot is hard to leave home.

Originally Posted By: sharkathmiWay to stack 'em up daddyflea!!
That one coyote looks pretty big.

Yes sir he was bigger than normal for sure.

No I killed 3 Coyotes 1 fox maybe 4 hogs but it should have been 4 coyotes

Originally Posted By: coyote_grimreaperOriginally Posted By: huntwithBT17Wheres the picture of the taxidermist??
thumbup1.gif

I am going to ++11 this. We need to see a picture of this taxidermist.

Sorry Guys I took her a Bobcat today and I remembered to take her picture. Unfortunately for some reason the picture disappeared on my phone. I will try again next time I go. I can tell you that she is married to an avid hunter and they mount most all of Ted Nugents stuff.

Back